As a Bloomingdale IL chiropractor, I wanted to share a few tips of things you can do improve your bone density, reduce arthritic build-up and keep your skeleton's curves healthy for a lifetime.
Both women AND men can develop osteoporosis. Arthritis is a given for all of us -- just like grey hair. Our risk of spinal curvature goes up with sedentary lifestyles. The good news is that you can have a positive effect on all three of these bone problems by changing your daily habits starting today!
1. Eat foods high in calcium, vitamin K, omega 3 fats and minerals.
- Foods high in calcium include dairy, green vegetables (like broccoli!), almonds and sardines.
- Green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, Swiss chard, watercress, collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens and escarole are high in Vitamin K, which enhances absorption of Vitamin D -- which is a strong anti-inflammatory and helps with bone density.
- Omega 3 fats found in fish such as wild salmon, sardines, anchovies, mackerel, and halibut help reduce inflammation, which helps reduce arthritis and enhances bone density as well.
2. Exercise is critical. Move and LIFT more.
- Use it or lose it. Weight bearing exercise is needed to maintain bone density. In addition to walking/jogging/running, it's important to stimulate bone growth in your spine and arms by carrying heavy things, pressing weight overhead and supporting your body's weight on your arms. A few good beginning exercises include the Farmer's Carry, Side Plank, Kettlebell Swings and Shoulder Press (click on the link for videos). Make sure you progressively increase weights to see benefit.
- Rest = Rust You need to keep your body moving in a variety of different positions to lubricate your joints and reduce arthritis.
- Doing the same activities or being in the same position for a long time contributes to spinal curvature issues. Mix it up so you don't get stuck in one place!
3. Keep your spine moving well by seeing your chiropractor.
- If you regularly have your spine checked by your chiropractor, you'll move better and have less pain -- which helps you exercise more frequently.
- Getting your spine adjusted helps prevent abnormal spinal curvatures and improves your posture.
- Chiropractors specialize in a holistic approach to health and keep you focused on improving your diet and lifestyle -- improving your skeletal health from the inside out!